Airlines have been tightening restrictions on carry-on baggage, limiting the amount of bags and baggage passengers can bring on board with them.
Moreover, the jammed overhead bins in airplane cabins have long been an irritant to all travelers, and on top of that, more rows of seats have been added as well, cutting into legroom and the storage space beneath the seats.
Many airlines have reduced the maximum weight and size of luggage they’ll carry for free, some now charge for every bag you check, no matter how small and light, and airlines are increasingly enforcing what used to be a generally overlooked set of rules and penalties.
There may be different baggage allowances depending on your exact itinerary and when you purchased your airline ticket.
|Airline Baggage Rules|
Airline cabin baggage rules, baggage allowances of carry on and checked in bags, dimensions, weight and number of pieces.
|Transporting Firearms and Ammunition
Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter.
|TSA Prohibited Items USA|
What Can I Bring? Liquid Rules 3-1-1 for Carry-Ons, Sporting Goods, Guns & Firearms
Electronic Lighters, Blasting Caps, CO2 Cartridge, Dry batteries (AA, AAA, C, and D)
Box Cutters, Cigar Cutters, Darts, Disposable Razor, Kirpans, Knitting Needles, Knives
Blood Sugar Test Kit, Canes, Contact Lens Solution, EpiPens, Medical Marijuana, Nebulizers, CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs, Unused Syringes
|Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports|
What you can and can't take on board under the current security rules : baby food, sports equipment, work tools, chemicals & toxic substances
|Flying with Children
Installing a CARES Child Safety Device on an Airplane
Indian Custom's Tariff
Restrictions on what items you can take in your hand luggage and check in luggage when boarding a airplane.
Security Checks :
- The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
- Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.
- Unused syringes are allowed when accompanied by injectable medication. You must declare these items to security officers at the checkpoint for inspection.
- Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.
Baggage means “belongings” of a passenger traveling from one place to another. These allowances are not definitive but will give you a good general idea of the baggage allowances of most major airlines.
International flights generally have the same size and weight allowances but may cut down on the number of pieces that can be checked.
Also allowance variations can differ depending on the destination country.
Please check with specific Airlines if you are close to any of these limits.
These are generalizations of many different airline’s specific travel baggage allowances and limitations. Please check with the Airline Websites, about specific airlines and flights if you are close to any of these limits. Most airlines will allow oversize or overweight baggage or additional baggage for an additional fee which varies depending on the situation.
Airlines have increased restrictions, and decreased luggage allowances over the years. FAA should have enforced some baggage rules, uniform standard would eliminate competition among airlines.
First it was the weight from 70lbs to 50lbs. Then it was the overweight and oversize charges that increased. The allowance for sports equipment diminished, and the pieces of luggage for an infant or toddler dropped too. Now some of it can certainly be attributed to the additional fuel costs, but many of these changes occurred before fuel became an issue…and lot of airlines have taken the step of actually charging you to check in any luggage at all.
The same baggage allowances & fees apply to a passenger throughout an itinerary that originates or ends in the U.S.
In the case of a code share itinerary originating or ending in the USA, the marketing carrier’s baggage allowances & fees must apply throughout the itinerary.
Airline Specific Carry-on Requirements
While each airline has its own set of Carry-On Requirements :
|Delta Air Lines Baggage Policy & Restrictions|
Some pets can travel with Delta as a carry on, bag fits size restrictions
|Checked bag policy : American Airlines|
Checked bag fees have changed for flights within the U.S & International
|Baggage Policies : Southwest Airlines
Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item.
|Baggage Information : United Airlines |
checked bag service charges
|Checked baggage fees & policies : Alaska Airlines|
Fees for checked baggage
|Baggage Allowance : Spirit Airlines
The Worst Airline with carry-on fee
|Copa Airlines : Baggage Policy|
Pets are not allowed in Business Class or as checked baggage.
|Baggage rules : SWISS|
Baggage limits on European routes
|Bag Info : JetBlue : Best
Allowed one personal item (purse, small backpack, briefcase, laptop, etc.) plus one carry-on bag.
|Air Canada Baggage Information|
free checked baggage allowance, and any additional fees
|Baggage Info, restrictions : WestJet|
1st bag fee, 2nd bag fee
|Aeromexico : Baggage policy and fees
The Basic Fare (class "V") does not include checked baggage, only carry-on is allowed. (handbag, backpack, portfolio, camera, wallet)
|Bag Limitations : Frontier Airlines|
Bags cost more at the airport
|Baggage : Interjet Airlines|
baggage allowance varies depending on your selected fare and destination
|Baggage Fees : Hawaiian Airlines
One piece of carry-on baggage and one personal item
|Baggage allowance : Qatar Airways|
2 pieces, each not to exceed 23kg
|Emirates : Baggage allowances|
Two pieces up to 23kg each in Saver, Flex and Flex + One piece up to 23 Kg in Special
Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru
|Singapore Airlines |
All Nippon Airways
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
|List of all Airlines Websites|
- Each airline has different requirements and may change their policies without notice.
- Airline Passengers should note that the airline has the right to modify its rules at any time.
- Checked bag fees have changed for flights within the U.S. or to / from Canada, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
- Air travelers should never assume that the aircraft they are flying on a given flight will have sufficient storage space onboard to
- accommodate all the carry-on baggage passengers may want to carry onboard. In these instances, the airline may not allow its
- passengers to carry the maximum number of pieces onboard. also, remember not to overstuff your bag, the airlines will most likely ask you to check it.
- Please make sure that any sharp objects (especially needles, syringes, and other items needed for medication) are properly covered and secured to prevent injury to yourself and our Employees who care for your bags.
- Additional service charges apply to any checked baggage that exceeds the size and/or weight limitations and baggage beyond your allowance.
- Extra baggage is accepted only if space is available on the aircraft. Oversized, overweight (exception of assistive devices and musical instruments) and extra baggage is not accepted on flights to certain destinations and on certain flights during specific timeframes.
- Any items of baggage that are bigger or heavier will be transported as excess baggage.
- A third or fourth piece of baggage is not permitted on select international flights.
- Some airlines have limits on oversize golf bag with clubs.
Wheeled suitcases with telescoping handles are very popular today, particularly in the carry-on type. You may be asked to check these pieces, on certain flights, because there may not be enough room on the plane for everyone to bring on this type of baggage. Briefcases and garment bags are generally considered carry on pieces.
A briefcase is considered one carry-on bag, but a normal sized woman’s purse is not. Some airlines allow coach class/economy travelers only one carry on bag.
Can you bring a car seat on a plane?
FAA approved car seats allowed. The label should read, “This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.” Flight attendants are instructed to look for the label, and you may run into problems if it’s missing.
Normally airlines will accept child safety seats and strollers as checked baggage for no additional charge.
When it comes to checking a car seat, always place it inside a large bag to keep it from being soiled and parts from being lost or catching on aircraft loading / unloading equipment.
How many carry on bags allowed?
In Most Airlines : Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item.
What’s not allowed in hand luggage?
What items are allowed in a carry on?
Baby food is allowed in reasonable quantities in carry-on bags, allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes.
What size bag is considered a carry on?
There is no one standard carry on luggage size or international carry on size. Each airline comes up with their own restrictions on size, weight, and number of items allowed in the cabin.
Weight – 15-24 lbs Range : Size Average – 55 x 40 x 25
How do you pack your medicine when flying?
Passengers are allowed to take unlimited amounts of pills or other solid medication in either your carry-on or checked bags, but they must be screened and checked at a security checkpoint.
Liquids are also allowed in reasonable quantities, and they’re not subject to the 3.4 ounce limit imposed by the TSA’s liquids rule, be prepared for extra scrutiny if you’re packing more than 90 days worth of medication.
The TSA doesn’t require you to have medications in the original prescription bottle.
Is a backpack considered a personal item or carry on?
Airline rules for personal items are not as clear as the rules for carry on luggage.
Example of personal items : laptop bag, handbag, backpack, purse, briefcase, camera bag, diaper bag or any other small bag that must not exceed certain dimension (varies by airline).